We are living through a season of shifting paradigms, climate change, and global, personal and spiritual evolution. In short, this is a era of planetary transformation. We are traveling through space and time as we experience the paradoxical death of patriarchal contructs and the birth of expanded human consciousness.
Perhaps, like me, life today causes you to feel unsettled and disoriented by grief, anxiety and depression at a visceral level. I often have a sense that the cells within our bodies are being reconfigured as part of the Divine plan…to take on new properties to aid our adaptation (physically and mentally) to help us navigate our swiftly changing world. This transformative and alchemical process, to my mind, is happening exponentially.
As if all these changes are not enough, the upheaval, negativity, and chaos of contemporary life have been sensationalized by the media, given a soundtrack, and “packaged” as a distorted and disembodied form of entertainment for the masses. We are fed fear regularly on a daily basis.
However, in the midst of our seemingly, sorry state of affairs there is a bright counterpoint to the pervasive darkness that is every bit as real as the obvious and disruptive opposition to the Light. We have infinite untapped spiritual resources within us and we are far stronger than we imagine. Additionally, we are hopeful, loving, and creative beings. We come from the same illuminated and timeless Divine spark of Creation that set the stars in the heavens and gave rhythm and cadence to the human heartbeat.
Today, I sense God calling to those of us who long to serve and witness the turning of the world. I feel called to listen within, often moment by moment, for guidance and direction. It is a time for spiritual committment as the world spins round towards an undefined destiny.
The question arises…
How shall I respond (as an active and creative presence in service) as a mid-wife for the Good that struggles to be birthed at this pivotal evolutionary time?
Before I step onto the path of active response I must reflect on what I’ve come to believe. During the past forty years of my adult life, through personal experience, I have discerned a particular spiritual truth. What I have come to understand is this…
There are metaphysical and spiritual phenomena that accompany the myriad variations of transformative process. Simply stated…when a person or community actively sets the intention to bring forth beauty, light, hope, and upliftment for the well-being of self or others, direct opposition arises to abort the goodness and light being created. The mystics throughout the centuries have referred to this experience as spiritual warfare. The very real ongoing struggle between Good and evil.
This phenomena (the attempted thwarting of Good by evil) may arrive in the form of human opposition and/or opposing forces from the invisible, dark realm that has existed since time began. These mortal and supernatural “powers that be” often arise to interrupt and counteract the outcome intended to serve the Highest Good.
We are living at the borderlands, at the very edge of paradox when and where the visible and invisible manifestations of Good vs. evil are viscerally palpable. In recent months I have realized that I must practice extreme self-care to remain awake to the guidance of the Divine Presence as I navigate the current unpredictable, evolutionary journey.
I am grateful for the solace and sustenance I continue to receive through the following spiritual and creative practices.
- The practice of prayer expressed in myriad ways through…
- the embrace of silence during the pre-dawn hour
- the preparation of the evening meal
- letter writing as outreach to a beloved or someone in need
- the creation of beauty in the form of a meditative mandala, a written prayer, or a poem
- a “gratitude walk” in nature with awareness for the awesomeness of God’s visible Love through Creation
- the sacred practices of lectio, audio, and visio divina
- active service within community
- praying the Rosary
- written and illuminated prayer in the form of a sacred mantra
2. The practice of periodic fasting (a Sabbath rest or extended sabbatical) from…
- texting, social media, and the computer in general
- network news programs
- media related information in all forms
- unconscious consumption (food, internet, materialism, etc.)
- fear and judgment (as much as is humanly possible)
3. The practice of periodic feasting to renew my heart and spirit through…
- the reading of Scripture, the Psalms, sacred poetry, and literature
- listening to beautiful music and gazing at works of art
- writing, weaving, knitting, and crafting beauty
- the breaking of bread with friends and beloveds
- service to the spirit of Belle Coeur Sisterhood
- nutritionally rich, life-giving food
- prayer, prayer, prayer, prayer in all forms
- extended periods of silence
As exhausted patriarchal forms that no longer serve humankind are unhinged and undone…as we await the birth of the new, yet, unformed way of life that is coming…we must consciously navigate the shifting sands of time and the associated evolutionary changes. I am grateful to be traveling in good company.
Let us nourish one another through our prayers, practices, and service. Most of all, may we remember the infinite and nurturing Source that lives within each of us. Let us remember that God is Good and within God’s Goodness there is the gift of hope eternal. Whatever tomorrow may bring, we are fortified and fed from the wellspring of Love.