Spiritual Direction is the journey of discovering the relationship of how God is working in and through one’s life. Together the seeker and spiritual director rely on God’s guidance as they discern what is emerging, where there are blocks, and where there are openings to communing with God and how movement and growth are appearing.
A careful and prayerful shift of perspective keeps God as the focus…
Enter into spiritual direction to create peace with life’s pieces. Through spiritual direction, create a mosaic of your life as you identify, explore and piece together your questions and doubts, dreams and desires, challenges and joy, faith or search for faith. Enter spiritual direction to learn more about prayer. Let God unfold your path before you while blessing the years behind you.
As your spiritual director, I will prayerfully and confidentially witness and support your unfolding story and experiences as a committed companion for your inner journey.
Spiritual Direction may benefit you if:
- you are at a crossroads, needing to make an important life decision that calls for spiritual discernment and prayer.
- you believe God is calling you to something that you can’t quite grasp because of the daily demands of life.
- your relationship with God feels blocked and you would like to open yourself to a more fulfilling spiritual life.
- you would like to integrate your spiritual life more fully into every facet of your daily work, relationships, and experiences.
- you sense you are experiencing an opening to enter into a deeper relationship with God and you are seeking ways to enrich your relationship with the Sacred through spiritual practices.
- you want to serve God through your work and you are questioning how to do this
- you are seeking a companion, guide, or “soul friend” to accompany you on your spiritual journey
Spiritual Direction is…
- the ancient practice and process of listening to God with another.
- the noticing of God’s Presence in your life with a personally chosen guide.
- the journey of seeking the face of God.
- the spiritual director’s modeling of a deep relationship with the Sacred, and standing contemplatively in faith and love with the seeker as that relationship reveals itself.
- a complimentary process that can work in tandem with psychotherapy and/or 12 step programs.
Spiritual Direction is not…
psychotherapy or a quick fix for all life’s problems. Rather, the focus in spiritual direction is the nurturance of one’s relationship with God. Certain challenges in life stem from emotional issues rooted in past trauma and/or early conditioning, this inner work requires professional assistance with a psychotherapist.
What women are saying about their spiritual direction experience…
I am a professor of Global Studies at a university in California. I also have a degree in theology and am a progressive Presbyterian, a denomination that’s strong on justice but not inclined to encounters with angels or sustained reflection on dreams and the mystical life.
So when I first came to Sibyl for spiritual direction, I felt inchoate, craving a renewed spiritual life. I wanted a way back to mystical depth that had a Catholic sensibility, Episcopal artistry, Evangelical love of Jesus and Liberal intelligence. Sibyl offered me a way to play prayerfully with art-filled collage, dream work, journaling and deep prayer, and I am deeply indebted to her. She is a mystic herself and I’ve come to rely on our meetings to help me orient my own journey. Her work in the world is truly an alchemy of beauty, humility and grace.
—Kathryn Poethig, M.Div, Ph.D.
Sibyl has been my intuitive, prayerful, gentle, and caring spiritual director for nearly a decade. She has walked with me the holy ground of grieving my precious mom’s death and discerning my vocation. She is equally compassionate and creative when she accompanies me seeing God in everyday joys and sorrows. Sibyl honors and validates my faith journey steps, big and small, while encouraging and empowering me to continue to open the ear of my heart to God’s Will. Sitting with Sibyl, I know I am sitting in God’s Presence.
Sibyl Dana Reynolds is ordained to pastoral ministry and she studied and completed training at the Hesychia School for Spiritual Direction. Sibyl’s suggested spiritual practices including: journaling, visual prayer, and contemplative prayer provide supportive tools for the inner journey.
INQUIRE ABOUT SPIRITUAL DIRECTION